Are you amongst the many Americans out there struggling with weight issues? Or even obesity? Obesity puts you at an increased risk for heart disease, diabetes, and other illnesses. However, did you realize that carrying extra weight can also put you at an increased risk for foot and ankle pain that may prevent you from functioning at your best, and being able to exercise on a regular basis?
A person whose BMI (body mass index) is greater than or equal to 25 is considered overweight, greater than or equal to 30 is obese. Unfortunately, carrying around extra poundage not only affects your feet, but the ankles, knees, and hips, as well. The way you carry yourself due to the extra weight affects your gait- as it is altered to compensate for the weight of your body. This can make an overweight person more prone to injuries such as a broken ankle or knee problems- some resulting in replacement surgery being necessary.
Your foot health is one more reason to lose weight, added to the long list I’m sure you already have. As this is a common issue we see at our office, Dr. Eric J. Abrams has some recommendations to help address foot pain and discomfort related to being overweight.
- As being overweight is associated with diabetes, check your blood sugar levels regularly. By keeping blood sugar levels under control, you reduce the risk of foot ulcers, which if untreated can lead to life-threatening infections or even amputation!!
- Try to avoid walking barefoot, even at home, as this can injure the skin/soft tissue of your feet.
- Wear padded socks to help protect against injuries to the skin/soft tissue of the foot. Often, as part of an “integrated approach”, it is recommended that padded socks are properly selected and fitted, with shoes with non-slip outsoles.
- Use inserts or orthotics prescribed by your podiatrist that have been properly fitted!
- Make sure you practice very good foot hygiene, examining your feet daily for cuts, bruises and other potential trouble spots.·
- Be sure to get regular foot examinations either from your regular doctor or podiatrist- as extra weight may increase your vulnerability to foot and ankle conditions.
At Foot & Ankle Affiliates of Central NJ, P.C., we have two convenient offices located in Toms River and Eatontown NJ and we can help address any foot and ankle problems you may be facing. Call us to schedule an appointment, so we may get you on the road to healthy and happy feet! And, remember, although losing weight is not easy, it is worth it in the long run. So, please, slim down, your feet will thank you!
Are your toenails yellow, buckled, unsightly and or discolored? So many people suffer from unattractive discoloration of their Often, this is due to a dermatologic condition called psoriasis. Nails can also become thickened and deformed when they are infected with fungus. Other times, this can happen as people age, as well. This condition is embarrassing, and too many people simply live with it.
Well, that doesn’t have to be the case any longer! At Foot & Ankle Affiliates of Central NJ, we can help. We are now offering a wonderful laser treatment to help discolored, unsightly nails. This safe & effective treatment is quick and virtually painless. It is a wonderful alternative to prescription medications, and is done in-office with no downtime from regular activities.
Dr. Eric Abrams and his professional staff are available to help you at two convenient Central NJ locations: Toms River, and Eatontown. Our offices are also now performing “EPAT” (Extracorporeal Pulse Activated Technology) that can treat such conditions as:
- Achilles tendon partial tear
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Posterior Tibial Tendon partial tear
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Intra-substance tear of tibial or peroneal tendons
With our latest technology, we can provide relief to our patients in a comfortable, professional atmosphere. Foot & Ankle Affiliates of Central NJ specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of foot and ankle conditions in adults and children. Dr. Abrams strives to deliver state of the art healthcare to all his patients. He offers many treatments that are not available in many other podiatric offices.
If you are suffering from thickened, yellowed toenails, or any other foot and ankle conditions causing you strife, call either of our convenient Central NJ locations. We are here to help!
- Toms River: (732) 255-2373
- Eatontown: (732) 542-0777
Throughout the course of our everyday life, our feet sometimes get overlooked. However, they shouldn’t, as foot health is so important to a person’s overall health! Our feet are very complex structures, with many bones & muscles that support our body weight. Each foot is composed of a network of 26 bones, 29 joints, & many muscles! Our feet take the brunt of our weight load every day, as the average person takes several thousand steps a day! So, we rely on our feet being healthy more than we realize! Here are some suggestions to getting happy feet:
- Foot massage and moisturize
- Foot soaks in essential oils such as lavender or tea tree oils
- Clip toenails straight across
- Comfortable shoes – make sure you give your feet that break with wearing shoes that have good support and a roomy toe box
- Elevate your feet and take a load off
Unfortunately, things can go wrong with our foot health, which can cause some serious discomfort! At Foot & Ankle Affiliates of Central NJ, P.C., our skilled staff treat many patients with foot ailments. Dr. Eric Abrams often sees people come in suffering from such afflictions as: bunions, hammertoes, heel pain and toenail conditions, just to name a few. There are things you can do at home to try to alleviate some of these problems, however, sometimes only a doctor’s special touch will do the trick! When home remedies do not work, contact Dr. Abrams and schedule an appointment. He has two convenient locations in the Central NJ area: Eatontown (732)-542-0777 and Toms River (732) 255-2373 to treat any foot and ankle problems that may be plaguing you!